Friday, August 5, 2011

Playing Catch-up

So I have had several new recipes and a couple of new craft projects to post for the last week and well...
Anyway, I'll spread these posts out over a couple of days since life has happened and I'm behind!

Last weekend, I tried several new recipes and Lyle said it was one of the best meals I've fixed for him. :-D I even got him to eat broccoli. And like it! I'm expecting it to rain fluffy pink poodles tomorrow, and I think I even saw a pink pig flying while I was out running this morning.
I'm also always looking for new recipes to use our deer sausage in and I found a great one!
(The original recipe came from tastykitchen.com but I tweaked it a little since we don't have a grill yet.)

New Potatoes with Onions and Deer Sausage

3 c. water
2 Tbsp. Dijon Mustard
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
2 tsp. white vinegar
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 can chicken broth
2 cans of whole new potatoes, halved
sweet onion, diced- to taste
1 link of deer sausage (you don't have to use deer, the original recipe calls for 4 whole brats)
dry parsley flakes, to taste

In a large pot, bring the water, mustard, paprika, vinegar, cayenne, and broth to a boil. Let boil for 2 minutes. Add the potatoes and onions, reduce to a simmer and let cook for about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand in the cooking liquid for another 15 minutes. Drain, and set aside. Saute onions and potatoes in a large skillet over medium heat for 12-15 minutes. Set aside. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch or so slices and saute in same skillet over medium-high heat for at least 15 minutes (or until no longer pink). Toss with potatoes, add dry parsley flakes, and enjoy!


Now on to the magical broccoli recipe (that even picky husbands and children will eat)! The original recipe can be found on Tasty Kitchen's website but again I tweaked it to fit us!

 Cajun Oven-Roasted Broccoli

1 package frozen chopped broccoli
2 1/2 to 4 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1/2 to 3/4 tsp. Tony Chachere's Original Creole Seasoning

Spray a cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray. Spread out frozen broccoli on cookie sheet and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle with seasoning, and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.


Finally, we wrapped up the meal with some of Lyle's mom's amazing homemade biscuits! It wouldn't be a Sunday morning at his parent's house without these, and I love making them every chance I get! They're just fun to make!

Kim's Amazing Buttermilk Biscuits!
(They're so amazing they need an exclamation mark in the title! Seriously, these wonderful biscuits are soft on the inside and crisp on the bottom and have just the right amount of salty and buttery flavor!)

2 c. all-purpose flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
5 Tbsp. chilled butter
1 c. buttermilk

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, salt, and baking soda. Using a pastry blender, or two knives, cut the butter into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.

2. Add buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms.

3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gather into a disk. Knead lightly a few times, just until smooth.

4. Pat the dough to 3/4-inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits. Place the biscuits, 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheet.

5. Bake the biscuits for 12-15 minutes, or until golden.

Hope you enjoy! We also made some homemade, chocolate chip waffles on Sunday (at my husband's request. Since he was so good and ate all his broccoli, I decided to let him have some chocolate! :-D). I'll try to share that recipe with you next time! Have a great weekend!



No comments:

Post a Comment