The love-hate relationship continued as I tried to decide how to cut the itchy, frustrating, pull-your-hair-out, difficult-to-cut burlap. But craftaholics anyonymous tutorials stepped in to save the day! :) I think the chocolate burlap strands may be a little tighter than regular burlap because it certainly put up a good fight, but as my husband would say I learned to "adapt and overcome!" The standard size of a place mat was listed online as either 14X18 or 10X16, but you can really make them any size you'd like. I went ahead and measured 14X18 and that's what's pictured here.
To cut burlap straight:
1. Use a tape measure to get the length you need, then make a cut about 1/4" (or a little more) into the fabric right next to a strand.
2. Grab one of the strands and pull all the way out. This creates a straight line through the burlap. (Since the chocolate burlap was so tight, my strand kept breaking and I had to use the scissors to gently coax, er...I mean cut next to the loosened strand to help it out)
3. Cut along the line with scissors.
Our burlap had been folded into a box after the wedding, so I went ahead and ironed it. Craftaholics annonymous suggested using a spray bottle with water if the burlap decided to be difficult (which of course mine did). I did and it worked great! This particular burlap doesn't really have a strong smell, but I also read that if you don't like the odor, you can spray it every once in awhile with Febreeze.
Here's the final result! :)
See that "ASPIRATIONS" word really helped! :-) Happy Friday y'all!
No comments:
Post a Comment